Candy Cane Cookies
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in egg (2), almond (1 Tbsp), vanilla (2 tsp) and salt (3/4 tsp). Add half of the flour and wait until fully incorporated until adding remaining flour. Mix until just combined.
- Remove half of the dough from the bowl. This will be your white dough.
- Add red food coloring to remaining dough in mixer bowl, mix on low until well combined.
- Place dough in food containers with lids and place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- When you’re ready to start building the cookies, set up a rolling surface covered lightly in flour, with a pile of flour nearby to use as you go.
- Scoop about a golf ball sized amount of dough out of each color, keeping the unused dough covered with lids to keep from drying out.
Make a tight ball of dough, then roll out into a 10 inch (ish) log with both hands. Be gentle…the dough is soft. *Do not use too much flour. It will keep the cookies from sticking together. Roll out the other color in same way.
Lay both strips of dough side by side. Cut into 3 equally sized pieces. (about 3 or 4 inches each) Pinch dough together.
Place untwisted dough onto cookie sheet. With one hand, hold one end of the dough together. With the other hand, gently pick up dough and twist. Start to roll the dough with both hands in opposite directions. Gently roll the twisted cookie on the cookie sheet to smooth it out. Shape into a candy cane hook (optional, because these break easily)
Repeat with remaining dough. This process is time consuming and takes practice to get it right. Remember, even the not-so-perfect ones will still be delicious cookies. 🙂
Bake at 375 degrees for about 9 minutes. Careful not to overbake.