Ceci’s Braised Eggs
4 slices whole wheat bread
Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Freshly ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
Side of sliced fruit (Pictured here with avocado, but for other options serve with melon or orange.)
This recipe is best if you serve it as soon as it’s done cooking. For best results, I suggest that you set up everything before you start cooking. I’ve written everything in 2 sets of steps. Prep, then cooking.
- Slice tomato (as you would for a burger) and set aside. A refrigerated tomato will work best, as it will contrast well with the hot ingredients.
- Put bread in toaster. Do not toast yet.
- Place a non-stick frying pan on stove, set heat to medium high. Be sure you have a lid or something to cover the pan with. Leave to warm up while prepping rest of ingredients.
- Slice fruit. Place in small bowls. (The eggs will be runny, so you’ll want to keep the fruit from getting yolk-y)
- Lay out 2 plates.
- Fill a shot glass (or other 1-ounce container) with water. Set near stove.
- Start toaster.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick spray. Crack 2 eggs in pan, carefully so as not to break the yolks. Also, try your best to keep the eggs from joining together in the pan. Pour water into frying pan and cover. Cook until water is gone. Do not flip eggs. Total cooking time should take no more than 2 minutes. *optional: When eggs are almost finished, sprinkle with cheese and replace lid to allow cheese to soften.
- While eggs are cooking, toast should pop up. Butter the toast, and sprinkle with Tabasco if you like. Lay a slice of tomato on each slice of bread.
- Place cooked eggs on top of bread/tomato slices. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve with a side of fresh fruit.