Peppermint Twist Kiss Cookies
Recipe from AlidasKitchen.com
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 to 8 drops red food coloring, adjust amount to desired color
24 milk chocolate Hershey’s Kisses
additional granulated sugar, for rolling
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk, peppermint and vanilla extracts, and beat until well blended.
- Gradually flour to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Divide dough in half. Tint one portion red. Divide each half into 4 portions (I made 4 balls of each color, and stored them in separate containers). Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Take dough out of refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Shape each ball of dough into a 9-inch log. Place one red log next to a white log, twist gently and then roll to make one swirled log. Repeat with remaining dough.
7. Cut each log into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then roll the ball in granulated sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly with bottom of a glass.
8. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven. While cookies are still on pan, top each cookie with a Hershey’s Kiss candy, pressing down gently (small cracks may form). Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.