Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com
Makes approx 40 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 6oz (ish) chocolate chips or other melting chocolate
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter (1 c.), confectioners’ sugar (1 c.) and vanilla (1 tsp.) until smooth. Stir in the cake flour (2 c.), then fold in pecans (1 c.)
- Roll dough into compact 1 inch balls and place them 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I use a small 2 tsp cookie scoop) Pinch one side of the dough to form the hedgehog’s face.
- Cool prepared cookies on sheets in refrigerator for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Cool cookies completely.
- When cookies are cool, begin melting chocolate (6 oz.) I prefer double boiler method, but microwave works fine too. If microwaving, do it in no more than 30 second intervals and keep a close eye on it, stirring in between to make sure that chocolate does not burn.
- Carefully transfer melted chocolate to piping bag or sandwich size zip top bag. Wait for chocolate to cool before handling. While you’re waiting, prepare your decorating station. Pour 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans into bowl, ready for dipping.
- When chocolate is cool enough to handle, cut off a very small part of the corner of the bag and pipe chocolate onto back half of cookie in a half circle. (see picture) Careful … the chocolate will come out quickly but you don’t need a lot of chocolate, just enough to coat the surface. Dip in pecans, then repeat with all cookies. When you’ve finished the back side of every cookie, go back place dots for eyes and nose. *I recommend having a toothpick and paper towel handy when doing the face. Piped chocolate can get stringy and the toothpick can help to keep it in line. Wipe toothpick with paper towel as you go so you can keep reusing it.